Sunday, May 31, 2009

What is art?


Is this art? What is art? This is me trying to create an Andy Warhol-type piece. Thank God that isn't me in the picture... Anyways, what is art? I see random squiggly lines sometimes and people consider that to be art. I consider it to be random squiggly lines. I mean, some of the "art" looks eccentric and flamboyant. I think outrageous is the proper word. My vocabulary is limited. But yeah, some of those pieces look real good. I go to school in SUNY Albany and the whole school is literally a cement block. The downtown part of the city has a place known as Empire State Plaza. In that vast, also concrete, government area, lies many random piece of contorted metal, bright colors, and seemingly random pictures of splattered paint. That can't be art right?

Wikipedia states that art is, "...the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions." Wikipedia is definitely correct about its definition of art because it is a legitimate website based on research and peer review. So art is something that is aesthetically pleasing. Isn't that essentially what Wiki is saying? Honestly, any bright random color would appeal to the senses. It would make you think "Wow that's so outlandish I must pay attention!". Is art a stimulant? It appeals to the senses and emotions. It elicits a reaction of happiness or sadness or interest. Drugs do that too. Drugs aren't art. At least not until hipsters declare it to be.


I made that randomly colored piece of "Art". I think it's trippy as hell and looks cool. Does that make it art? I look at the stars sometimes and think that they're awesome. Is that art? So I guess art HAS to be man-made. I want to hear an argument stating that a bent tree is art. I enjoy listening to nonsense because it makes me feel smarter. I guess art is like beauty, it is in the eye of the beholder. I'm the biggest holder around. That shit is not art.
























No comments:

Post a Comment