Sunday, May 31, 2009

Baseball Caps

I'm sure there are many true baseball fans out there. Player salaries are ridiculously high so that money has to come from somewhere right? Enough people buy random $200 jerseys with a team name and crappy fabric to help pay Alex Rodriguez's ridiculous $30,000,000 a year salary. The Yankees have their own channel and FOX paid MLB billions to show their games.

I admit, many teams have really nice colors. Nobody can mess with the Yankees colors (Navy Blue and White). Teams have really cool merchandise to connect with fans. However, there is one thing that polarizes me. (I'm not sure if polarize is the right word but I want to give the illusion that I'm an intelligent scholar so leave me alone)

BASEBALL CAPS.

What is the best way fans connect to their team? I'm pretty sure it isn't bobblehead dolls. If you are a fan who connects to say Hanley Ramirez through his bobblehead doll, you probably play chess against your G.I. Joe doll but the game always ends in a stalemate. Anyways, baseball caps are probably the best way to connect with a team. Hats are a universal part of society. They basically always look good. The fitted ones feel really good on your head. If you are balding or at striaght up Bruce Willis level, then the hat is a disguise that directs attention away from your empty-ass scalp.

I'm pretty sure that the majority of baseball cap wearers are at the very least, casual fans of the team. However nothing annoys me more than when people wear a baseball cap not for the team, but because it "looks good" on them. Or because the colors match their clothing. I hate to sound like a super serious sports fan but this whole fad of wearing baseball caps for the colors annoy me. Especially in my school. I'm not sure if this is a natural trend because I'm busy doing actual useful stuff and being comfortable within myself, but I have noticed many, MANY people in my school wear the same white shirt, basketball shorts, and a fitted baseball cap. That's TOTALLY fine. It's OK to dress however you want to dress. It just kills me when I see damn near everyone wearing the same outfit. Maybe it's a Long Island thing. It probably isn't because everything bad in the world is a Long Island thing.

Like I said, it's completely OK to wear fitted hats. The thing that irks me is when you see someone wear a random one. Being in New York, I'd expect to see a Yankee or Met or even a Red Sox hat. But when I see a kid in a Nationals hat with matching red shoes, my heart explodes inside of me. I hope in my mind, "God I hope that kid is a Ryan Zimmerman fan". I'm pretty sure a large portion to all of the kids in random hats know nothing about the team. Trust me I've had experience. Many a time I've talked to kids in random team hats about the team they're "repping". Like the time I saw a kid in a Colorado Rockie hat and I egged him on about the 2007 World Series. He knew NOTHING about the Rockies. But he did know how to match clothes. I'll give him that

I'm not only judging random kids who wear hats of teams they know nothing about. Many people in the "fashion" world wear fitted hats. And by many people, I mean rappers.



I'm a huge Oakland A's fan. I want to have a discussion with Fabolous about our current hitting woes and possible solutions. I mean we have pretty good pitching and great prospects like Trevor Cahill and Brett Anderson. I'd bet 10,000,000 simoleons that Fabolous had no idea what I'm talking about. But his hat does match his green and yellow jacket!

Pointing out how random baseball caps annoy me may sound tedious or crazy but think of it this way. Physics is tedious and crazy. Physics is essentially the base of our modern world. Me pointing out the ridiculousness of these people wearing these caps is the base of our world. God bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment